The philosophy, or art-of Feng Shui can make your home more conductive to the flow of positive energy (chi). The literal translation of Feng Shui is "wind and water." The bathroom is definitely the room that you think of when you think of water. But the water in the bathroom isn't the same as the water element. You will still need the water element, such as a water fountain or aquarium, in other areas of the house to be balanced. The following Feng Shui information can be applied to existing bathrooms or to homes that are being designed.
Everything Has To Do With Placement
The entry to the home is where career and opportunities come into the home. If the bathroom is located directly in front of the entry, your opportunities could flow out immediately.
- You can help prevent a loss of opportunity by always closing the bathroom door and toilet lid (when not in use) to prevent the unnecessary escape of chi.
- Lots of lighting, good ventilation and cleanliness are essential to a proper Feng Shui bathroom. As with other rooms, a lot of mirrors are important to reflect chi and keep it moving around the room and throughout the house.
- To help resolve the situation of the toilet being located in the center of the house (the prosperity part), place a full-length mirror on the bathroom/toilet closet door. The mirror will help deflect chi and also create an illusion of the bathroom/toilet not being there.
- Don't allow dripping faucets or dirty fixtures to be a part of your bathroom. A dripping faucet is a sign of wasting money.
Another way to counteract opportunity and prosperity from being flushed away is to keep a bowl of pebbles or fresh flower arrangement on the toilet tank or on a shelf above the toilet. By adding this element of earth, you will help control the water.
A black or red rug at the base of the toilet will also provide protection against wealth loss.
- Good color schemes for a properly located bathroom are light grays, cream colors and pale blues. If your bathroom is located in the center of the house, paint it red. The fire element will increase income and therefore counteract the drain on wealth.
New Home Design Considerations
If you are choosing house plans or designing your own, keep the following items in mind:
- A plan where the bathroom isn't located directly across from any entry doors would be most preferable. The entry to the home is where career and opportunities enter. If the bathroom is located directly in front of the entry, they could flow out immediately.
- The bathroom shouldn't be placed in the fame, prosperity or wealth sections of the bagua.
- In the plan, try to include a toilet closet to hide the toilet from view.
- If you choose a home with a second floor, the bathroom shouldn't be located over the main entrance.
- With a new home you have the opportunity to choose the perfect bathroom color scheme. Light colors and pastels are most desirable for proper Feng Shui.
- A lot of good lighting is important. Use wall sconces to lighten up any dark walls or corners.